roanmtn;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day behaved down in your part of the world and you're well.

For sure hopefully Phil looks in and gives some input as he's likely seen more bears cross over the great divide than any three other people I can think of.

As to your question, I knew a couple of fellows who were shooting mentors that grew up in the Kootenays back when bears could still be hunted and problem bears were just "dealt with" who shot at least a handful of grizzly each with a .270.

While I can't say this for certain, there might be a difference between shooting a garden or stock raiding bear and taking one up on the mountain - or not, I just don't know.

There was another Kootenay grizzly in a taxidermy shop that belonged to a father and son who were personal friends that died with a 180gr Sierra out of a .308 lever rifle, but so help me I can't say for certain if it was a 99 or an 88 now, that detail has slipped away.

Lastly and I'm cognizant it's not a .270, but a hunting mentor of mine who was a small farmer in the Peace Country during the Depression shot everything that needed shooting with a 95 in .30-40. That included whitetail, mulies, moose, elk, caribou, black bears and grizzly.

He talked about sometimes shooting more than one black bear a week to keep them out of the garden and how grizzly bears and hogs were problematic in that once they developed a taste for pork, there was no non-lethal way of changing a grizzly's opinion about it.

Anyways that's a few from up here, but again Phil would have better and more data.

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"