Well.... I don't own a .44 Mag. I am also a believer that the big bears can abush a hunter very quickly as fast as they are. There is probably time for one shot maybe two at the most. One must place the shot accurately no matter the caliber. Perhaps, if the recoil is too great, he/she will flinch and miss. I believe there are enough stories here(including my own) that show calibers less than .375, .416, .458 do penetrate and kill effectively. However, ALL these calibers must have good shot placement. In my youth, over fifty three years ago I killed a grizzly in the Yukon with a .270 Win using a 130gr Nosler Partition. It penetrated very well at seventy or so yards. It would have penetrated at ten yards. Phil Shoemaker has told us the .270 kills just as fast as any other cartridge with good shot placement. Screw up a shot with a .458 Win Mag..... you've got one hell of a mess. Perhaps the hunter will now be referred to as Claude Balls. If the hunter is ambushed by Mr. Brown Bear, who said he will have time to shoot regardless of the caliber of the weapon he is carrying?

Last edited by roanmtn; 01/09/24. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell