Originally Posted by BC30cal
AdventureBound;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust that the start of the second week of the year has been good to you thus far and you're well.

Since you're reading material by the late James Gary Shelton, if you've not read his other two books on bears, in my opinion they're worth a read.

….

All the best to you in 2024.

Dwayne

Hello Dwayne,

Nice to meet you, sir. Thank you for your very kind wishes. 2024 so far has been quiet, but has already brought some small blessings.

I do have all three of Shelton’s books about bear attacks. I have read in backwards sequence. I ordered the books in used condition and I believe that his last book, “Bear Attacks II: Myth & Reality” was the first I received, so I read it first. Next, I read “Bear Attacks: The Deadly Truth” - his second book. And now, I am reading his first work, “Bear Encounter Survival Guide”.

Beyond the tremendous value of Shelton’s experience and wisdom, the books are entertaining. Especially “The Deadly Truth”.

Because of “life”, I have been away from hunting for roughly 30 years and am making plans to hunt again as I am anticipating another life change fairly soon that will return some opportunity. My younger years, I hunted whitetail in Texas; three years, I hunted mule deer in western Colorado and loved hunting in the mountains. I hope my future will allow me to hunt elk in either Idaho or western Montana, maybe New Mexico. I am using my time now to learn and prepare, thus the interest in bear defense.

The most powerful chamberings in my rifle battery are .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, and .308 Win. The .270 is my favorite. I optimistically hoped that a premium bullet such as Nosler Partition, A-Frame, Norma Oryx, or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw would be sufficient defense against a bear attack. The story I earlier posted changed my mind.

In a different thread, I saw Mule Deer (John) post that he would want something more substantial in bear country. I now appreciate John’s perspective.

My gosh, this means that I will need another gun. What a pity!

Will an either .35 Whelen or a 9.3x62 do the trick?

Thanks for mentioning that Shelton is deceased. Seeing that his first book was published 30 years ago, I wondered if he were still around.

In one of the James Gary Shelton books, he details the investigation of the killing of two BC hunters just out of Radium in the mid '90's. They'd killed a bull elk, were taking it apart and had two loaded rifles propped nearby if I'm not remembering wrong. The grizzly got the first fellow, then the second fellow's gun jammed I want to say and it got him too.

This 1995 story is documented in “The Deadly Truth”, chapter 10 - Without Warning”, 56 pages extensively telling the story of Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspel, including details from many sources, as you noted about Shelton’s writing. Definitely worth a read!

Having handled a carcass or three in reasonably tight quarters in bear country, I'd absolutely prefer something on my person in a chest rig rather than a long gun propped nearby. I mean just because I'm a Canuck doesn't necessarily mean I'm stupid.... wink

Amen. Wholly agreed (not the Canuck part!). Probably a 44 Mag, however, I would prefer a 10mm - but only if it is more than powerful enough to stop a charging grizzly with one, possibly two, hits.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and your kind words.

Forrest
(Hopefully smarter than Forrest Gump, but sadly not as wealthy)

Last edited by AdventureBound; 01/08/24. Reason: Formatting

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer