Well, l guess it is thumbs down for punishing my buddies. I actually have only two friends left from my youth . They have all passed. One friend, a Virginian, I met while I sold insurance passed and it broke my heart was Tom Colley. We had this good natured quarrel concerning the .270 and 25-06. Tom was born in 1937 and was utterly convinced his 25-06 was THE gun to own. It seems the white tails, hogs, elk, etc were a good point against me. BUT, we both admitted that shot placement was the big secret as my .270 was also just as good.The other friend lives in Roan Mountain, TN where we went to high school. We graduated in 1970. He too loves the the 25-06. His dad bought him a 25-06 and it was the talk of Roan Mountain, TN. New on the market, the 25-06 was hard to find anywhere. However, there were some small country hardware stores in Abingdon,Virginia next door to Tennessee. It was a long trip where we had crooked two lane roads My dad and his dad took us to one where we knew the owner and he reserved the only one he had and my buddy had his 25-06. We didn't have many deer in Tennessee fifty three years ago. The one hundred grain bullet smoked the deer as did the .270 loaned to me since age ten by my uncle, a disabled lumberjack. We hunted next door in Virginia and North Carolina.The other friend from my youth quit hunting when he became a university professor in math. In time the favorite rifle in Roan Mountain became the .243 Win-6mm Rem.

Last edited by roanmtn; 11/28/23. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell