Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by beretzs
Agree about the center dot's Jordan. Really just started using more of them recently and really like them up close for target work or planting it on hide/fur at distance.

On lower power scopes for targets I really like a center diamond around a floating dot or a mil/MOA type reticle that has hash marks in even increments from the center that I can use to frame the circle on a target or a steel disc. Hunting we do, a #4 with an illuminated dot is my favorite but a lot of my hunting scopes are a simple duplex. Our hunting is mostly in close, in thick woods though. Hunting I’m rarely above 4-5x because that’s what I leave a variable set at. Normally no need or no time to crank it up.

I hunt about the same kinda places at home and run similar stuff. This year we took a few elk around and I don't think the scope went above 8X or so (490, 595 and 605 were the last readings before the shots). Brother and I have been shooting the SS 6X's for so long, anything above that seems like ALOT more. It is nice to have on target work, but on elk sized stuff 8X was plenty, especially with the dot in the center. The scope was a 3-18 so it had a bunch more to go, but as you know, sometimes you don't have a ton of time to mess with stuff. Lotsa ways to skin the cat and I think whatever works for you to get a shot down range as quick as possible is best.

Semper Fi