Couldn’t agree more on Phil’s comment about the importance of split second speed on DG. Whether a brown bear or elephant at close quarters, the follow up shot, if needed at an incoming or departing animal - even though it may be mortally wounded - makes the difference on whether a straight forward plan works or winds up in a messy end.

Getting mashed or ripped apart by claws or tusks is real, if the 2nd and/or 3rd shots are not very fast. Even when the wounded animal starts a retreat, the ability to stop a long, maybe dangerous or futile tracking job, is often a matter of split seconds, as Phil points out.

No matter how well made, H&H length bolt actions take a bit longer to work and the unsupported length of the bolt protruding from the raceways is just longer enough that a bit more wobble results than a standard LA bolt. Seemingly small differences but since we’re splitting hairs, split hairs do make a difference.

Beyond that 2nd shot, the situation is getting dire as more follow ups may be possible infrequently, and then split seconds do stack up and the difference is either real or irrelevant. Just my opinion based on much less experience than Phil and others bring to their informed conclusions.

BTW, I’m an unabashed admirer and user of classical cartridges that work. The 375H&H holds a real place in my list of these old tried-and-true classics. However, the 375 Ruger is one of those rare innovations that combine the best of the past - the proven 3/8” bullet diameter - with a modern design case which fits in a standard LA length action. The best of both worlds IMHO.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 02/10/24. Reason: More info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now