Originally Posted by 86thecat
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by bluefish
Of course the Lott came AFTER the win mag.

Yes, that makes the comparison a temporal mirror image.
The .375 Ruger vs .375 H&H is the left-handed isomer,
and the .458 WinMag versus .458 Lott is the right-handed isomer,
just to mix the analogy a little more.

Also, just to spread the word to those wrong-thinkers who deny the .458 WinMag,
and never look at the currently 190-page thread devoted to the King of Cartridges,
here is the latest snippet:

Jack Lott just became more understandable regarding his suicide.
1. He used a pre-existing .450 Watts Magnum reamer
2. in a pre-existing SAAMI .458 WM rifle,
3. trimmed the brass 0.050" shorter, and voila, named the "new" cartridge for himself.
Then he developed the backstory.
4. Did not tell that his first shot at a cape buffalo in 1959, with his new .458 WM M70 African, was a gut shot with the 510-gr RNSP.
5. Did not tell that his second shot with the 500-gr FMJ "Solid" from WRAC deformed and went squirrely because of the excessive muzzle velocity generated by the SAAMI .458 WM.
6. Exaggerated the extent of his injuries from the sick buffalo for sympathy and as raison d'etre for more velocity with crummy bullets that were not able to withstand the warp speed of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Sextuple Stolen Valor.
Victims of it were James Watts, the .458 Winchester Magnum, and all of us.
Oh the shame of it all.

It's all about theoat length in the 458. SAAMI throat Lott gives WM intended velocity without powder compaction. CIP throat gives the Lott much higher velocity. Weatherby freebore would be best of all for the Lott, accuracy and velocity.

https://forums.accuratereloading.co...&a=tpc&m=9201027511&s=518103

86thecat,
Besides 101 USES For A DEAD CAT, I have learned a lott since that 2009-dated thread you linked from "the other forum." My handle was RIP on that thread.
CIP homologated the .458 Lott long-throated first, and then changed it to match the SAAMI version.
Based on the drawings I have with dates of revisions:

2000 CIP: The throat on their .458 Lott was same as on the SAAMI .458 WM, tacked onto the end of chamber for 2.800" brass,
Initial CIP homologation.

2002 CIP: Same long throat as the year 2000 version .458 Lott.

2006 CIP: Short-throated .458 Lott arrives, matches exactly the SAAMI .458 Lott homologation for chamber dimensions.
Only difference is CIP MAP is 4300 bar (62,350 psi) while SAAMI MAP is 62,500 psi for .458 Lott.

First SAAMI homologation of the .458 Lott appears to have been by Art Alphin's A-Square Co. on 06-04-1998.
Blame him for the handicapping.

There has been one and only one chamber specification for the .458 Winchester Magnum, matching for both SAAMI (1956) and CIP (1984),
except SAAMI MAP is only 60,000 psi while CIP allows MAP of 4300 bar (62,350 psi).
The CIP .458 WM is actually a .458 WM+ according to Square Table parlance.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.