Originally Posted by 458Win
All this begs the question: Those who have argued as a main point that manipulation of a Ruger .375 could, in theory, be more of a "life saver" if confronted by and angry bull or bear than a .375 H&H, so I ask again: Why is that argument raised in regard to the H&H and NOT the Wby or Ai- because the main complaint of the longer action being slowness of operation compared to the Ruger?

In anticipation. . .

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Speed of operation is not simply a theory. Hunters from WDM “Karamojo” Bell to modern African PH and professional cullers like Richard Harland have addressed it and I speak for personal experience of having jousted with wounded bears for over 40 years.
The primary reason heavy double rifles remain popular is due to their abilities to make a quick second shot and those of us who choose to use and rely on bolt rifles base our opinions on real life experience.[/quote]

Not to argue the point with you Phil, as a pro who has had to go into the thick stuff to deal with wounded BBs, but with those, who, like myself, are not pros, but have pushed the argument that it's faster for a follow-up than the slightly longer actions: :.416 Rem vs the .416 Ruger, etc. I seriously doubt that most have the experience or need to tell the difference - yet they push that point. . . . Have they practiced enough or have had to deal with a life or death situation where a difference would be noticable? It seems to me that we need to practice with what we (the amateurs) have to the point of auto responses without thinking about it. The client is not dealing with a wounded buff, lion or BB on his/her own! The're very thankful to have competent pros beside them if things go sideways - like yourself.

But thanks for sharing your experience.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus