This thread is a bit old, but I'd like to point out a couple of safety concerns and factoids regarding the load development that Woods did:

Woods has an extremely different rifle-build then ANYONE looking to develop/duplicate a load for a factory-built Ruger Alaskan or African. (3-groove, 24" Pac-Nor, et al...)

Hornady, who developed the cartridge AND tested it in a "20 Ruger Alaskan has a MAX published load of RL-17 for a 270 gr bullet of 81.3 gr. (8th & 9th additions)

Woods load may be safe enough in his unique rifle, but in my experience RL-17 doesn't show traditional pressure signs like most handloaders are used to seeing, yet I would bet that Hornady's ballistic lab actually MEASURED the pressures to come up with the max safe load or 81 grains in their reloading manual.

That being said, if I recall correctly, Woods had worked up to 86 grains of RL-17 without any (traditional)pressure signs behind 260-270 gr bullets - anyone want to bet that 5 GRAINS over book max is actually at a safe pressure level - even in his custom rig?

Anyone care enough to run those numbers through Quickload?

I do appreciate how thorough Woods was with his documentation, and he did back down to a less-outrageous (and very accurate) load of 84 grains,but his loads aren't even close to realistic for us Ruger shooters and probably are way over-pressure even in his rifle.

IMO RL-17 is a good powder that only LOOKS like a wonder-powder to those used to seeing the traditional pressure signs that us seat-of-the-pants handloaders are used to looking for.

My $.02,
-Joe