Originally Posted by Riflecrank
The .375 Ruger is an improvement versus the .375 H&H for all the reasons elucidated above.
Unfortunately the .458/.375 Ruger is not an improvement over the .458/.375 H&H 2.5".

Sir Ron,

Can’t comment on the lack of virtue of the 458/375 Ruger so defer to your assessment. I do know that rebore of the Alaskan Hawkeye barrel to 0.458” is infeasible due to depth of rear sight screw hole depth, per JES.

However, the 404/375 Ruger (0.423” caliber) is a significant step up in power, duplicating the Rigby and Remington 416 MVs and modern 404 Jeffery ballistics, all with the 400 grain bullets, either SPs or mono-solids depending on target. No other mod needed to the Ruger 375 Hawkeyes other than rebore. Definitive medicine on Cape buffalo. Might try the 404/375 Alaskan on elephant this summer with the unfailing 400 grain 0.423” CEB Safari Solid.

The only obstacle to that plan is the temptation to reprising with the Hawkeye African currently converted to a 458 WM. If I can get it modified to the longer mag version in the next couple of months to get true 458 WM+ 3.5” COAL the choice will be clear.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now