Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Hillbilly375
I really like my Ruger Alaskan. I replaced the rubber eraser stock with a stock Ruger plastic stock, and it feels much better, and weighs in at just 7-3/4 lbs. I have had more then a few .375 H&H rifles, and have always held them in the highest regard. Since the purchase of my Ruger, I no longer own an H&H. Not that the cartridge is so much better, but simply because the shorter barrel of my Ruger still puts out the ballistics of the longer H&H, and it's much handier in the thick brush that I hunt.
I do like the shorter action better as well; and I CAN chew gum and walk at the same time!
Be careful of those that say 'like what I like, or your an idiot'.
..........Hillbilly.....I really like my 375 Ruger Alaskan too. So far though, I have yet to replace the Hogue stock after almost 2 years of ownership. Most do not like the Hogue`s oversized palm swells, the oversized pistol grip, the eraser type of feel and some think it`s just ugly (not a safe queen for sure). But for larger hands like mine, this stock works just fine in the field. It`s very grippy in wet weather, extremely durable (designed for punishment) and handles well. Any rifle beauty pageant contests in camps these days??? Nope!

If for any reason later down the road it gives me a reason to replace it, then I will.

No reason to replace it if it fit's you. I liked the Hogue as well for it's soft recoil. I on the other hand have short fingers, so the forend is a little big for me. A stock needs to fit the shooter, or best work will not be done. ALL my shooting buddies raze me for having to chop all my rifle stocks off about an inch for proper fit to my short, stocky build. As far as beauty pageants are concerned, I've found pure function to trump beauty every time. If it fit's, and is functional for the shooter; that IS a beautiful thing. Glad you like your Ruger, and would love to hear about your experiences with it.
Best!

If you want to anger a conservative, 'Lie to him'; if you want to anger a liberal, 'Tell him the truth'!