Originally Posted by CZ550
Just a reminder that the honorable .375 H&H can easily be "cleaned up" to the AI version, making it the equivalent of a .375 Wby. Still, H&H ammo can be used, if needed for Improving cartridges or in a pinch. So, a question: does that still make it inferior to the "magic" of a shorter throw from the Ruger? I've read quite a bit on this debate, but never yet on comparing any advantage of a .375 Ruger over a .375 Wby or AI.

Just some of my preliminary thoughts when I picked up my .375 H&H a year ago this month. I may yet have it AI'd. I've lots of new-unfired brass.

Yes, I know that could possibly (in theory) slow reaction times down a little for a second, third shot due to more recoil, etc. But so far, no one has ventured into a debate of any real advantage of a .375 Ruger over a .375 Wby when facing "danger in the tall grass" or bush! Why? Perceptions perhaps?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Sir Bob,
Why do a .375 H&H-AI when the .375 WbyMag has all the bugs worked out of it ?
The .375 WbyMag came first, and is now the best.

The .375 Weatherby Magnum existed as a Weatherby wildcat since 1945, long-throated.
It got a long-throated CIP homologation in 1987, then sometime after 2002,
when Weatherby revived it for resumption of factory production,
it got a throat proportionally similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor.
My Dave Manson reamer drawing from circa 2003 is specified to be according to CIP.
Parallel-sided throat length is 0.370" and diameter is 0.3756", just .0006" greater than bullet diameter.
Leade angle is 1*07'00".
CIP MAP is 4400 bar (63,800 psi) for the .375 Weatherby Magnum.
Compare that to 4300 bar (62,350 psi) for the .375 H&H Magnum.

Also, if you fire factory .375 H&H ammo in a .375 WbyMag chamber you slow it down about 100 fps and make it gentler in recoil.
Hunt with it while fire-forming brass.
My favorite .375 WbyMag shoots 0.8" for three shots at 100 yards when doing that with Remington factory ammo.
Or get the excellent Norma-made, properly head-stamped brass and gain more than 4 grains water gross capacity
compared to the W-W, R-P and Hornady brass makes.

The .375 WbyMag is my #2 favorite cartridge after the #1 .458 WinMag.
It definitely beats the .375 Ruger except for the extra 0.2" length of bolt throw.
Somehow, Hal Waugh survived decades of "Fair Chase" in Alaska as a PH,
despite his preference for an M70 .375 H&H re-chambered to the .375 WbyMag.
He called her Big Nan.
He must have had nine lives.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.