Many years ago, when I was active in competition long range shooting, 500 yards wasn't out of the question, from a solid rest and if I knew the exact distance. And the animal was standing still and broadside.

Now, several years older, eyes not as good, and not as steady, I think I would limit it to about 200 yards. In the past few years, I have passed on shots at two really good bucks at a measured 3 to 4 hundred yards.

I am not a successful hunter. By that I mean, my lifetime bag is not as much as some hunters yearly bag. The reason being is that I have never tried anything besides a broad side shot at a deer or antelope in the open. I don't take running shots in thick brush, nor have I ever shot a deer in the rear end, although I have passed up several rear end shots. Nor have I ever shot for the largest part of the deer I could see.

I think the limit on distance should have a lot to do with weather, visibility, (overcast, rain, late in the day) the way the animal is facing, whether the animal is standing still or moving, in the open or in thick brush, and especially how steady my shooting position is.

And, very important, the shooter's skill. I know people who should not be allowed to take a shot of more than 40 or 50 feet.