Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like dead nuts on at 100 for threading needles.

I am in 100% agreement with that, with my dense-cover rifles at least.

The B&C and Zeiss reticles I've been using require me to sight in more like 1.5" high at 100 yards to make 'em work right, which I suppose could be considered a downside to them.

Being sighted WAY high, like some guys like, and then having to shoot through an opening at a critter 30 yards away with a twig to miss in the opening... that's just too complicated for my pea brain to calculate in the heat of the moment, hence the 100-yard zero for my blacktail rigs.

---------------------------------------------------------

I didn't want to clutter up my initial post (asking for people's personal max range) with my particulars, but now that the thread is going I will...

The 600 yards I state is truly a perfect-conditions maximum. I've never even thought of shooting that far at an animal; in fact the furthest I've shot at is around 125 yards. However relentless practicing has, by sheer repetition, got me hitting a vitals-sized target very consistantly at 600 yards with several different rifles. If the conditions are right I could see taking that shot- but boy oh boy, they would have to be RIGHT. Everything from the external factors, to my own physiology of the moment. I get major adrenaline rushes when I am killing things and I am not sure I could hold a rifle still enough to kill at 600 yards- regardless of how perfect everything else was, I might not be able to do it.

Most of my rifles are running out of steam at around that distance anyway, as far as staying above 1800 fps or so. I know that doesn't matter to some guys, but it does to me. I want reliable expansion.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!