Went out and did some shooting with Jamie and Horsefly80 yesterday... I can say about 1/2 mile is well within reasonable rifle range... for ME. And, conditions were less than "perfect"... with winds in the 5-10 mph range (and swirling).

Also, big guns (7 Mag + ), and high BC bullets are pretty much mandatory when taking long range pokes at critters... the 3oo RUM (all 3 of them) had very little issues on targets out to 1ooo yards... and one rock (about 12") got abused over and over again (untill Jamie decided to break it) at 875 yards.

As far as the 'ethics' argument goes... that seems far to personal and arbitrary to even try and debate. I've said before: Hunting Ethics is an animal with a hole through the lungs (or CNS if that's what you prefer)... doesn't mean a hill of beans how that hole got there... an arrow from 4 yards or a 300 grain SMK from a mile... as long as the critter is dead post haste... that's an "ethical hunter" taking an "ethical shot".

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley