I've really ony 2 memorable experiences with recoil issues ...and was not really flinch prone in those days.

The funny one was when I was Rep'ing for Stoeger back in the mid '80's and I had a SAKO sample show up unannouced right before the Dallas Safari Show back in the days at the Conv Ctr at the DFW Airport. It was a 7lb 3oz SAKO 375H&H carbine in a the first Mickey stock I had seen on a SAKO. Called the office to see what I was 'posed to do with it, took it to the Show as ordered and sold the right guy a couple dozen as planned to go to Alaska for Salmon guides....but he wanted some changes and did not want the Sample shipped to him...so I kept it to show off the new Mickey stock with. Following week I had some range time planned and took the 'lil guy along to burn up some 300gr factory Remmy's I had left over from another live dealer demo.
The bench's at my range are an individual concrete deck with a height adjustable wedge seat that slides up and down the seat brace pole. As per usual I hooked my heels around the pole to get my fat feet out of the way in the super tight area...touched one off...and "came to" flat on my back and stretched out on the concrete sidewalk behind the bench with the gun pointing up at the tin rood overhead. The Range Master freaked, and wanted to call an ambulance until I shook it off...and figured out what I had done WRONG ...and took a linebacker type squat & forward lean into the gun with my feet behind me since we cannot shoot standing at this Public Range... and finished off the box ...with the gun lifting me up about 6"s off the bags without any pain or additional excitment. Needless to say I cleared the bench for several positions around me with the Carbine's muzzle blast but I was getting 1 1/2-2" groups out of a freeby Tasco 1.5x5 World Class that stayed together long after this. Shot the gun later off some sticks and freehanded and it was a joy to shoot...with my feet properly put where they belonged Under Me...wish'd I'd kept that SAKO Carbine!

The other time was with a Wby MkV 300Wby FiberClass in their 1st 'glass stock I'd picked up trading. Again the gun only weighed about 7lbs bare nekkid. I was using some Federal factory 180's and the gun shot great left and right holding under a 1/2" wide 5 shot group. However the groups would range from 2-3"s to 5-6's high in a verticle string. I Got Mad at the groups I was shooting and my "obvious flinching" ...and shot 2 full box's in an hour or less. Thank God we ran out of daylight...as my face and right ear was black and blue from past my nose to the back of my neck on my shooting shoulder when I got home an hour later. My 'smith later pointed out the flimsy 'glass stock was bowing out from the sides of the reciever and almost collapsing thru the receiver area as I had Polished a 4" strip on the bottom of the barrel from where the forend was moving back and forth. I knew then why the guy I had bought it from was so willing to take a beating on the price ...but Dang that gun sold fast Again!
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.