Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by mart
I reworked some Hornady .458 500 grain round nose bullets to flat points to try in my Marlin 45-70 and worked up to the top loads listed for the Marlin. It was slightly less than enjoyable from the bench. Offhand didn't really bother me much with them. They shot awesome by the way but I went back to my Remington 405's at 1750 fps. Much more enjoyable to shoot.

I do remember a round of skeet with an Ithaca 37 Featherweight 16 gauge and the only ammo in town was a box of 1 1/4 ounce 7 1/2's. My buddies shooting with me said my head looked like a high speed bobble doll. I recall I didn't make my best score ever on that round.

The only gun to ever give me a flinch was a Freedom Arms 454 Casull whose owner was loading substantial loads, even by Casull standards. One cylinder full and I was very flinchy with handguns for about 6 months. I had to start over again with a 22 and work my way back up to where I wasn't flinching any more. I still don't shoot a handgun as well as I did before that day.

Mart

Marty my freind, you are forgetting your attempt to do in a coyote a few deer seasons ago along the snake river breaks with your then brand new 300 H&H smile Inquiring minds need to hear that story! <G>

Thanks buddy for bringing that one up. blush The recoil wasn't so bad, it was the position I was firing from. Laying down hill in a rock pile trying to get a line on a distant coyote. I was contorted in a truly unnatural manner and what most shooters would consider a less than optimal shooting position. I was forced in this downhill position to crawl the stock more than I should have and at the report felt the warmth on my face that I knew wasn't sunshine. Blood poured down my face from the newly opened skin just above my left eye. While a memorable experience, not my finest moment as a shooter. crazy

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.