Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

Thanks for the info.

I've got a Mark 4 10x on my 6.5-06. The adjustments have always been dead-nuts and very reliable. In fact the first time I cranked it out to 600+ yards, after sighting-in at 100, the 140 VLD's landed right where they should according to the ballistic program. Of course I'd tested the adjustments for accuracy by shooting and adjusting at 100, but it was nice to see everything work out so easily way out there.

Of course, I haven't taken any big game with the rifle beyond 163 yards, but have shot some varmints at longer distances. Impressed the hell out of a few friends while we were shooting prairie dogs a couple years ago. We'd either killed or spooked all the dogs inside 400 yards with normal PD rifles, so I got out the 6.5-06, lasered a dog at 470, cranked the elevation turret, and killed the dog with the very first shot.(Of course, I didn't have enough sense to put the rifle away after that--but did get a few more out to around 600.)

John,
Curious if you still have the Burris on your 6.5-06, and if so, how do you like it? If you have a story coming out on it, no need to spoil it!

Originally Posted by dodgefan
I've probably got about 2000 rounds through a Barret and you are right that it is hard to test scope tracking when you rifle shoots about 3 MOA.
I never had any issues with an M3a either. A M3LR cost my partner and I a couple of places at the FT Benning Sniper match when it took a dump.
Buddy of mine did the 5th Grp Level 2 course when he was in the 101st.
Regular Army snipers shoot a lot more then they used to at least here on Carson.

dodgefan,

Glad to hear the guys are getting more trigger time. We had a deal worked out with some of the 5th Group guys; when they or us got a range, the other would come shoot. I think it worked out better for us, as we got to play with some of their cool toys, shot up their ammo, and gleaned a lot of good info.

That's the schitz about the scope giving out on you in competition! I bet that was a lot of fun (the Sniper Match, I mean).

Funny anecdote about the Barrett and why a single group tells you little about a rifle - downrange we were sighting in our Barretts, and had some ammo that shot quite well (I honestly can't remember what it was, IIRC it was something other than RAUFOSS). I managed to shoot a 3 shot, 400 yard group that measured a little less than 2.5".... which I'm pretty sure I couldn't do with that rifle in a million more tries!