IME, movement, scent, and dawn/dusk situations involving UV light are ahead of breaking up outline, which is not to be discounted. They all work together. The particular pattern is likely not too important, as long as it is big and bold.

Birds see color, and perhaps patterns as well as we do, so if hunting turkeys or waterfowl, be aware. I'm not qualified to speak on the latter however, having done no turkey hunting and very little waterfowling.

At range, "fine" camo becomes solid, so go for big, high contrast patterns which works just as well at close range as at long range. If possible, get a bush, etc. between you and the animal, or just behind you. Camo won't help you a damned bit if you are skylined/backlighted against the sky, lake, etc.

I have camo as dedicated hunting gear, both for fabric, and as UV killed, scent killed gear. Camo pattern comes third, tho I'm not particular as long as it is large pattern. Mixed top/bottom patterns may even be better.

Camo for me is mostly a "color-coded" way to keep it separated from everyday gear, which is NOT UV killed and is washed in brightener/scented detergents. Use the hunter detergents, after UV killing the new fabric. Then never wash it in common detergents again.

I've probably killed as much game in everyday clothes, tho... It's a kinda mental hunting uniform thing, too. smile

I hang my cammies outside before the hunt as much as possible to remove house odors, etc., even after the UV/scent killer thing. Or store them in sealed plastic bags with sprigs of vegetation natural to your area.

PS. I have to add, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was this dude wearing full camo, crossbow-hunting hogs from a helicopter.... That comes right next to Boob and Boobs (Lee an Tiffany, among others) sqirting a couple shots of scent killer on their boots and shoulders on leaving the truck while still-hunting elk...

This stuff needs to thouroghly cover your clothes, then be air-dried to be really effective

I know way more about moose bellies than is really necessary.... smile

Last edited by las; 07/12/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.