I believe camo is overrated and certainly, the marketing is clearly aimed at convincing us that we NEED this camo or this newest pattern or ultimately, that our success depends on wearing THEIR latest camo pattern.

We've bought into this to the point of camo becoming "fashionable". If you don't believe that, witness the numbers of seat covers, bedspreads, blankets, cargo shorts, easy chairs, and a multitude of other camo non-hunting "stuff" that is out there.

I don't believe for one second deer, turkeys etc give one whit what you're wearing.

I've bought and worn camo for years and just the last few years have gone away from it for no other reason to convince myself I don't NEED it. I proved my point for good this past spring when I shot a gobbler wearing no camo.
[Linked Image]

It was wet, rainy and foggy. I was in a little low spot against a little pine tree, peeking around at two gobblers up on a hill when 5 surprised me from my left. I was completely exposed, just against a tree. I ended up moving when they were at about 30 feet just to make them turn. As I slowly moved and raised my gun they just got nervous and changed directions which gave me a shot. They never did recognize me for what I was.

I WAS wearing a headnet to cover my face and gloves. I believe that shining white face is our weakest link, especially at close range. Look at the photo above, my clothing is earthtones and approximately accurate for the landscape, but those hands and that face stand out.

My point is, turkey eyesight is legendary and I managed to kill one without camo, but I believe ANY game animal will key in on movement long before defining what you are.

So I've proven, to myself at least, that camo is not necessary for success. Camo is something relatively new on the scene. Game has been killed for generations without the use of camo.
I still have plenty of camo clothing and will continue to use what I have. But as I replace clothing, I have no need to pay extra for various patented camo patterns.

As far as Sitka gear, I know there are those who love it. I ordered a pair of pants and ended up selling them in the classified ads here. Simply WAY overrated IMO...just not for me at the proud prices they charge. Other non-camo pants will work just as well if not better at lower prices. Not knocking Sitka gear, just not for me.

So there's my $1 and .02 cents worth.

Last edited by snubbie; 07/13/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com