Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Avoid UV brightened detergents for your clothes (get a "sportsman's wash - a bottle is cheap and will last a long time), odors, movement and solid colors (break up your outline) and you will be way ahead of those who don't.

Ah! Now there you have the ultimate consumerist fashion notion: UV. Invisible rays that can only be removed by a secret spray. I've written extensively on this.

1) Although a deer's eyes are built to receive UV, they are not built to resolve an image.
2) For all the so-called scientific testing, no one has shown deer have an aversion to UV.
3) Your clothing fluoresces in visible light in response to UV. That's why they put UV brighteners in your clothes, so the whole idea that deer seeing you in the UV part of the spectrum is bogus. Read up on the difference between fluorescence vs reflectance. You'll see what I mean.
4) At the request a manufacturer of the most popular anti-UV spray, I tested their product. The details are on my weblog. The bottom line: totally bogus and largely ineffective even for what they claimed the stuff could do.
5) For any game species other than cervids (deer, elk, etc.) anti-UV is completely ridiculous. They do not have the receptors.

Now, here's an article from just a short while back:

http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=1605

Studies on reindeer indicate that they too can see in UV. However, what that does for them is allow them to see dark, non-UV reflective objects against a hi-UV background on snow. What has low UV reflectance? Predators like arctic wolves. The white fur shows up dark on the snow in UV. What this means is that (if anything) deer probably are more adverse to a LACK of UV.

Read through my weblog using "elephant repellent" , "UV" and such as keywords.

If you are still unconvinced after reading all my stuff, just take your hunting clothes and wash them once in hot water. So much for UV brighteners.

good point.....a field of flowers is gonna be a huge UV beacon, its how they attract bees....the natural world is full of non threatening things that is gonna reflect and fluoresce UV.....

Last edited by rattler; 07/14/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books