In general western deer hunting is more restricted than eastern, but here in Montana we can not only buy one general over-the-counter "A" tag (normally good for either a mule deer or whitetail buck in most parts of the state, or a doe in some places), plus one OTC "B" tag for whitetails does in about 2/3 of the state. Plus we can apply for another doe tag in some areas. This year I have my A-tag and drew a whitetail B-tag, and can still buy at least one more OTC whitetail doe tag. A friend owns a ranch in an area where you can buy up to 4, but they can only be used on private land. Dunno if he needs any help with thining his does this year or not.

Right now Montana's overall deer populations are down from historic highs due to hard winters and EHD, but are coming back. In the past we've even been able to draw an additional whitetail buck tag, or buy up to 6-7 doe tags, for both species, in various parts of the state.

I've also hunted deer in at least a dozen other states, plus three Canadian provinces, one state in Old Mexico (twice), and in Ireland, New Zealand and the Czech Republic. Some of the hunts in both North America and elsewhere have been partially cull hunts, and as a result I've taken a bunch of deer. Don't know the total over 40 years, but in some years it's been 10-12.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck