I haven't taken many deer compared to a lot of hunters on here. We are also on the northern fringe of deer habitat, and our populations are low compared to many areas further south. Big deer though. I have kept track of each animal I have killed, but i'm not about to go through my journals and figure it out for this post. I know that I've taken about 130 head of big game, but whitetail deer are a sort of consolation prize around here. I hunt locally for elk, moose, mule deer, and the odd bear. and our waterfowl hunting is some of the best in the world. So if my freezer has an elk and maybe a moose and a few dozen geese in it I just don't bother with deer. But I've probably shot 60 or so, mostly whitetails. 1-2 per year on average over 40 years. Last year I took three mule deer. I haven't shot a whitetail for three years, they have had some bad winters here. I might change that this year, but since I have an elk and a moose in the freezer already, I'm going to make it hard on myself, rattling/calling only and hunting with an open sight .44 mag carbine. It's fun to have options with a full freezer.

Last edited by castnblast; 10/31/15.