Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by moosemike
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

So I shoot does, culls and so on.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?

I only hunt public land so I really can't manage the herd.

We hunt a fair amount of public also. We still shoot the same way, for the best for the herd. Sometimes we start a trend by talking to others. Sometimes its all we can do.

If there are to many animals, and granted there are not always, we shoot females. Simple. tasty. Not always easy. In fact the biggest trophy to me is a doe head mounted on the wall... she was by FAR harder to kill with an arrow than my largest bucks. In fact the largest ones have been the easiest to pattern and arrow or shoot...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....