Originally Posted by Rogue
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
There's a reason why I've long had a rule of no less than .6" at the mzl, for me I find it helpful to stay to that!

Side note, wonder how many of our Snipers in the various forces use a flyweight tube...?

Dober

If it where always like the movies (one shot one kill) a fly weight wouldn't be that bad. Definately easier to carry. When your working from an overwatch position it can be more like a busy varmint field. And shots aren't always from a classic prone position.

Rogue is spot on. A "target rich environment" can heat up a barrel real quick. Some of my COF during a sniper match will have me putting out 10 rounds in 60 seconds with a mandatory mag change to liven things up.

But a super light weight barrel can still shoot. Here is my 30-06 Ackley with a 26" Lilja that has a muzzle dia of .552" running 180 BT @ 3000 fps @ 818 yds = 4.25" group.
Oh, and the date on the pic is way off. It was mid July with the temps running 90+. [Linked Image]

Also, just ask any custom barrel maker if one a heavy barrel will shoot better. "The inherent accuracy will be the same" is likely what you'll hear.

Alan