Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A .270 Winchester using premium bullets makes a superb hunting rifle but I could never own another after using a .30/06.

Would you kindly explain that? Is it personal preference?

I used to cull a lot, read that as thousands of animals, particularly when reviewing rifles where my habit was to develop loads at the range and then take the rifle to the bush.

In a great many side by side tests you don;t see a terrible lot of difference between various cartridges, particularly on deer sized feral animals but one trip in particular stood out in my memory and that was when I was clearing the shelves of old handloads and factory ammo that had been provided for review.

Some factory loads are several hundred fps below handloading capability and on this particular trip I noticed that the .30/05 killed very uniformly which was gaged by the % of animals stopped in their tracks either dead or incapacitated and unable to move further.

Some of the loads were pathetic such as 150gn loads at around 2600fps MV in the '06 but still worked as well as the .270 with warmer loads. I put that down to a caliber advantage as being more demonstrable than the velocity aspect when directed similarly.

Obviously bullet choices make a difference but I am averaging out results which I think is a more independent way of assessing differences. One off wonder shots don't prove much over time. We have all had those.

I used the .270 a lot since the 70's and never used the .30/06 until the late 80's as I was firmly in the Magnum Mania Phase, still am, with some cartridges.

My current .30/06 is fast dying with the barrel shot out. It has taken an awful lot of animals and developed a lot of handloads but it will be re-barreled with another .30/06 tube I have on hand in the not so distant future.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.