Bob,

The first "claw" extractor in Mausers was in the 1893. Before that they mostly resembled the post-64 Model 70's, but required more frequent cleaning to keep working reliably.

From what I understand (not having seen it myself) 700 extractors don't usually break when extracting, but while being pushed over the case's rim. They're actually designed to grip the rim more firmly if the case sticks in the chamber, as does the 98 extractor--and is why both extractors sometimes tear off part of the rim.

This isn't true of the claw extractors on the Model 70, Ruger 77 CRF actions, or many other CRF's. I have seen some of those "jump" the rim on a stuck case, but the case can usually still be extracted by closing the bolt and then pressing hard against the front of the extractor while opening the bolt again.

700 extractors are easily replaced, in fact more easily than a claw extractor, if you know what you're doing. I've taken an extra 98 claw extractor along on a number of hunts with 98-actioned rifles, and never had to use it--but have also hunted with 700's here and there without taking along a spare extractor, and never had one break.

Have heard that if a 700 extractor is going to break, it often does so within the first few boxes of ammo, probably because it was defective from the factory--another reason to shoot a new rifle quite a bit before hunting with it!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck