Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Originally Posted by Rovering
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
It is funny how number 1 is so written in stone, and the next two use weasel words like "I contend" and "ethical" and "Too Many"

Well I contend the ethical limit is 378 yards, and just enough clients show up under gunned and over practiced.

So what does he recommend for people who want to afford to practice and therefore want a round that works with cup and core bullets? Because I contend the cost of premium bullets is a huge factor in the lack of practice.

I read his stuff before and it is really second rate.

Good point. With the variety of bullets available in any, at least somewhat common caliber, any half capable handloader can stretch a cartridge both up and down the spectrum of game size. I shoot small game with specialty loads in a .350RM. Several here shoot deer with specialty loads in .223R. Is a cartridge really an ideal choice for the game if it can only perform well with a specialty load?

I guess that I don't consider a cartridge ideal for a given game unless the guy that doesn't handload can go buy a standard grade box of factory ammo in the right bullet weight and have it be a reliable and humane round with which to take the game. The plus for the handloader is that these 'ideal' cartridges work well with plain and cheap Hornady and Speer bullets.

That is a great way to look at it, standard ammo, not premium ammo, is the real word way to judge a cartridge.

Why is that? confused

That is a great question.

And when in the world did my ability to practice with "standard ammo" become dependant on what cartridge I am shooting?

Last edited by pathfinder76; 07/09/14.