Dennis,

I blew a primer in a M70 Classic .308 (still don't know why) which is supposedly an improvement over the pre-'64, because it has a "gas block" on the bolt that supposedly fills the left lug raceway. Got a good blast of hot gas and a few brass particles right in the face, and was very happy to be wearing glasses. Have had a couple of cases let go in 98 Mausers and only felt a slight puff of hot air past my left cheekbone.

Would guess that a lot would depend on which part of the case let go in a pre-'64 M70, but am not crazy about finding out. However, would also guess a flanged bolt shroud (like the one on 98's) might help. Dunno why Winchester didn't do that, except possible patent conflicts.

Alaska Arms makes a Model 70 style trigger for 98's, and it's very good, though its also relatively easy to modify military 98 triggers for a very good pull. Have owned a couple custom 98's with that done, one by Bill Sukalle and one by P.O. Ackley, and did it myself on my .338.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck