Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've done a real test (full magazine) with several 700's with no problems, but sometimes such tests do reveal feeding flaws--though in my experience they happen more often in controlled-feed rifles that have been rebarreled to some other cartridge than the original. Have also seen some factory CRF's that basically wouldn't feed at all, usually chambered for rounds not shaped like a .30-06 or 7mm Remington Magnum. As an example, one was a Ruger 77 Mark II in .350 Remington Magnum. It took an entire afternoon for me to get to feed decently--but not nearly as slickly as the average Remington 700 .30-06.

One thing I've started to wonder about 700 bolt handles coming off: How many hunters who've experienced this mostly hunt in wetter climates? What I'm guessing is an imperfect brazing job will weaken due to rust forming between the handle and bolt body, and undermine the brazing.

I live in Montana, which overall is pretty dry, and when I have hunted in wetter weather it's been on visits of at most two weeks to other places. Which may be why I've never had a 700 bolt handle come off--and may not.

I also know a gunsmith in West Virginia, one of those wetter places, who's had to replace quite a few 700 extractors over the years. Part of the reason they break there, he says, is because hunters don't consistently protect their rifles with some sort of oil or other rust preventative. The chambers are often pitted, and the extractors are often pitted as well. Extraction is more difficult due to the pitted chamber, and the pitted extractors sometimes break.

John assuming you are right about wet, dirty places, rust,gunk, etc etc.....isn't that the reason the Mauser design found so much favor in the first place,and over the years for reliable function in wet,tropical conditions,as well as up north? Assuming again, of course that the 98 was set up correctly in the first place.

My memory is that Paul Mauser also designed and patented other action styles reminiscent of PF Model 70's and 700's, neither of which proved as reliable as the 98.

The times I have seen Rem 700 extractors fail the extractor did not break, but pulled through the brass rim; PF M70 and Savage extractors just broke.

Seems to me that brazing on bolt handles just adds to the (potential)drama. smile

I agree not all CRF's are created equal....lots of them suffer from sloppy and indifferent assembly,cast parts,and ill fitting magazines and followers. Any of this stuff can give a guy fits.

Must be getting fussy and cranky in my old age. smile

I have a pair of "new" (to me) pre 64 M70 FW's that I will take to the range and run hard to see if they work.Far as I can tell they are all factory original.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/19/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.