Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As will drilling and tapping the right spot, and installing a stout screw.

John,

I was under the impression that the bolt body was too thin to provide enough thread engagement for screws to work. Where would this screw be located?

TIG welding seems like a simple solution.

Anyone want to donate their 700 bolts for force vs displacement testing? I've got a material test frame at work and we can compare: factory brazed vs screwed vs welded.

We could make dummy samples, but the actual bolts would be more entertaining grin .

Given today's Six Sigma and ISO standards, I wonder if anyone would come out with a design that incorporates a brazed lap joint? Not exactly fool proof and difficult to test, although some claim that Remington tests each new bolt with a pneumatic test fixture to ensure that the bolt handle doesn't fall off.

Yet, we can see pics of detached handles on the interwebs and from our own forum members? The pics show voids in the brazed joint. But you can only see it once the handle falls off.

If we assume a 1% failure rate and 1-million rifles made, that's still 10,000 handles that fall off. 1% failure rate is acceptable for some designs but if starting from scratch I wouldn't choose a brazed lap joint that is difficult to perform a quality check.

Any QC or SQE people in the house?

Jason