Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've met Don on several instances and he is indeed a great individual and he knows his stuff. The PH school John speaks about is without question, the most rigorous in the industry and I'll also add that besides being an accomplished PH and author, he is a rifle and bullet loonie as well!

Well I don't personally know the fellow and I'll take you word he is a swell fella, but if he is stymied by a 400yd shot I would not consider him much of an authority on rifles nor bullets. cool

As much as I get annoyed by the attacks on long range stuff around here this is just as ignorant.

There are different sorts of hunting, rifles, and bullets one needs to be an expert in different places.

Similarly there are different styles/methods of hunting one can engage in... Some near opposites, even in identical areas for identical species, and all may be called "authorities".

That is to say, you're just as ridiculous sounding calling this guy's credentials into question because he doesn't agree with you on this as others here are for doing the same thing to you.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not necessarily. A new hunter should practice killing targets first, anyway.

Thanks Jordan that is exactly what I was getting at.

Trying as I did illustrated the difficulty of wring three points that are truly universal like that. So many qualifiers...

I'd say that from what I've seen of the average hunter he did a good job.