I notice in these threads that many folks seem to feel that long range shooting of game is something new.

I remember my Dad bragging about how far away he had killed deer and elk nearly sixty years ago. In the early 60's he traded in a model 141 in 30 Rem for a 760 in 30-06 so he could reach further.

I remember asking Dad how he could possibly kill a deer at 600 yds or further with an open sighted 30-06, because I knew for a fact that the front bead subtended an area far larger than a deer at that range.

He answered, "I did not aim at the deer, I aimed at the rock on the side of the mountain twenty feet above the deer." Then he took another bite of the venison in question.

In the late sixties he equipped that 760 with a scope which cost far more than the rifle, so he could reach further.

Every hunter I knew as a kid, and young adult strived to be capable of killing meat at distances many consider extreme.

Pride in marksmanship at extreme range did not begin at Adobe Walls. Outside of sniping at humans, there has never been a better way to prove that marksmanship than killing game.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.