JB, How's this? smirk

Originally Posted by RinB
This just appeared in the latest SUCCESSFUL HUNTER. Written by a very well respected and experienced African PH. Finally, someone willing to state the obvious.

1. "Modern premium bullets make the 270 Winchester into the all-around plains game cartridge."

2. "If something is more than 350 yards away, I contend no one has any ethical business shooting unless the game is wounded."

3. Too many clients are arriving overgunned and under practiced.

I concur

I am a huge 270 fan and have never ever thought the 270 was lacking for plains game. I guess I read too many JOC stories and have seen too much game properly put in the freezer with it.

I (personally) am not a fan of long range hunting. I challenge myself to get close. That is what I prefer, some prefer to challenge themselves with their equipment and stretch the limits. I also think that there is a unspoken downside of LR hunting that results in unrecovered and wounded animals.

I learned early on circa 1982, that magnumitis is not good. When a gentleman carrying a 7mm Rem Mag scoffed at our 270's and proceeded to wound deer, while our tags slowly got punched.
Was it the cartridges fault? not per say, but the perception of instant death and recoil quite possibly could have been factors in not becoming proficient with his rifle.

Arcus Venator