Funny stuff here. Mild steel is just as fair to use as about a thousand other terms we use daily and everyone understands exactly what we mean. In industries that use spec steel for everything they do, the vague terminology of "mild steel" probably doesn't cut it but when use to differentiate between steel that is alloyed or heat treated it means a lot. Not sure how this term even came up as nothing on a modern rifle is "mild steel" anyway. Bolts are made of various alloys, most common is 4140. Actions are made of martenistic grades of stainless steel or usually 4140 or some other high strength alloy that is similar. Not sure what bolts are treated to strength wise but certainly well over 100 KSI. As for brazing, I haven't seen any silver braze that exceeds 80 KSI but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The stuff I use is 70 KSI and it requires a LOT of heat to use so it probably would make the bolt softer than not at the point where it is brazed. I am sure they take care not to soften the head of the bolt which is the business end anyway.

Mod 700 bolts work out pretty well for the most part and the failure rate is certainly lower than 1%. But I am in the camp with Phil when it comes to the choice of what type of rifle to use on dangerous game or even on an expensive hunt where there is no replacement handy.

My custom actions have one piece bolts- it's a nice to have that much peace of mind anyway. I do hunt with a 700 all the time and the bolt still has the original bolt handle but a replaced extractor, bushed firing pin hole and lightened firing pin. It works perfect.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.