Originally Posted by jwp475

What is mild steel? I have been in the welding business for 43 plus years.

Interesting attempt to play dumb there. You know as well as I do - and better than many perhaps- what mild steel refers to since it is a term of such common use....and not ignored in any sense by the AWS or any of many welding reference literature. You can find the strength aspects of various silver brazing materials and techniques among the AWS source materials and many reputable comprehensive welding resources. 100,000 psi tensile perhaps doesn't give full credit to the process in certain applications when correctly done. The bottom line is that I believe the fault lies with production at Remington not with the design. And perhaps there is a failure in the fit-up of the parts due to tolerances in what I think is an investment cast bolt handle. The fact that Winchester bolt failures are reported at a much lower rate suggests that it can be a good method and that it can be done well.

Therein lies the reason why many people have never seen this as an issue: it is a very good assembly method when done correctly - and yes, you could hammer on a bolt if the assembly was well done.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.