Originally Posted by seal_billy
Now if what Sharpnel Shrapnel said was true and subaru donates money to the anti's then I wouldnt contribute to that cause by buying a new one. I'm in the same mindset as him when it comes to my money funding idiots and their causes.

Shrapnel's statement was indeed true, as far as it goes... Subaru has been donating money to the ASPCA for the past 7 years. The company supports 4 national charities, including the ASPCA (the others are the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Meals On Wheels, and the National Parks Foundation), as well as 600+ local charities to a total of $15 million per year. When you buy a new Subaru, the company will donate $250 on your behalf to the charity of your choice within that group.

ASPCA's policy statement on hunting states that:

"The ASPCA is opposed to hunting animals for sport, even if the animals killed in this way are subsequently consumed..."

Now, I REALLY don't like the ASPCA because of its anti-hunting stance, and I don't give them money as a result even though they help operate a lot of pet shelters, which is something I approve of. But I really DO like the work done by Meals-on-Wheels, and sort of like Make-A-Wish and the National Parks Foundation. So 3 of their 4 national charities are OK or better, in my book.

So: Subaru has pledged to donate $15 million this year to charity. About half of that money goes to local charities, and the other half is split four ways among national charities, one of which I strongly oppose. At most, the ASPCA will get about $1.875 million from Subaru, not one dollar of which will be "mine" if I buy a Subaru this year, because I'll designate my money to go to the local pet shelter.

I can live with that.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars