Re: Schools.... i dunno how much choice there was in BFE Montana where you was.

Not every public school in the ‘burbs will suck. The best general predictor of the decency of a student body is how much money their parents make, as in if you are still poor in America after a couple of generations you prob’ly suck at parenting too. I assume you ain’t renting a house in tha ‘hood. Public elementary schools tend to be smaller and local, reflecting the neighborhoods they serve. After you have a sense of your neighbors, ask the ones with kids what they think of that school.

The most spendy private school in San Antonio is Keystone, prob’ly about $15,000 per year per kid, elementary, middle and high school. Class size about 15 students per teacher or less. Most of them kids are decent, some snotty rich kids with snotty rich kid problems, but for the most part the college-bound kids of successful professional parents.

I dunno tho that Keystone High kids do any better academically or in life than the kids at Health Careers High School, a magnet public school campus on the upscale north side of this city, certainly they are neck and neck in any academic contest ya can measure. Health Careers is competitive to get in and most of those kids have successful professional parents too. The biggest difference is the Health Careers parents have an extra $60,000 dollars to take their kids to Botswana on a safari when they graduate.

On the poor side of town the Young Women’s Leadership Academy is a rising star on the local academic scene. Again a public magnet high school that is very competitive to get into. Some of them kids are accomplishing great things. Some of their kids bested even Keystone kids recently.

If I were gonna send any kid to private school it would be middle school, the attitudes they bring out of middle school seem to stay with em for life. But beware, a private school can suck too.

Mostly, wherever a kid goes, it’s all on the parents, you wanna contact your kid’s teachers so often they find you a PITA, that’s your job as a parent.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 06/05/18.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744