Originally Posted by deflave
I sleep on the floor. Wife just left me. I'm in my 50's. I can't afford AC. I can't fix AC. I ride a bike to work.

Its been a few years, and I'm in my 60's. And hey, if you're past 50 and ain't busting yer a$$ doing something physical regularly, you're going downhill real fast. Slope gets steeper as you get older.

At this point, having done both motorcycles and bicycles, I gotta say I'm leaning towards bicycles. There's lots and lots of fat old motorcyclists, that's because all ya gotta do is sit there and work the controls, even if you're putting in a 1,000 mile day cross country. Nothing to it.

What a bicycle does, even if you're old with old knees, is allow you a workout like you did when you were a kid. Most often I ride early morning and at night, but just recently I put in a 60 mile ride on a sunny 98F afternoon just to do it (no sunblock, no sunburn). And hey, crossing the continent on a bicycle just rocks, no way around it. One reason I'm pushing so hard to clear debt is to get free to hit the road.

On the floor thing.... odds are if you are like most Americans, you personally, tho' not an old man by any means, have already grown too soft to sleep comfortably on the floor and more importantly, cannot sleep well on the ground outside which seems a fundamental ability for a man to keep. Charles Charles Goodnight, even after he became a wealthy man, slept outside on the ground every day of his long life, I understand why he did, he didn't have AC either.

What I need to get back to is fasting one day a week, as I did as an undergrad, again just to maintain the ability to do it. Seems like a fundamental ability for a man to be able to function without food, it ain't easy unless you do it regularly, you have to develop the enzyme pathways to break down fat and all that.

Beds are for sleeping with women, I don't see that coming in my future, unless you know any hot young women that dig wrinkly old guys, no AC, and sleeping with the dogs grin

You sure have been reaching hard all day to cut me down there Bub, I wouldn't think it was worth the trouble.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744