Originally Posted by gunswizard
I get all the speed and accuracy I need for hunting whitetails with moderate loads of IMR 3031 and IMR 4064. Ya don't need to hot rod the Whelen in order for it to be effective in my experience.

I guess it would depend on what and where one was hunting. I only hunt elk anymore and I've had to take shots as far as 350 yards. The 225 gr. Barnes TSX does a right nice job at 2710 at the muzzle. I'll admit that might be a bit much for deer but I'll bet meat damage would be small, the bullet exiting and the deer layig down and saying, "You've killed me."

As a matter if fact, that 225 gr. TSX cost me on of the nicest Mule Deer bucks I've ever seen. I could have shot him easily enough but there were a bunch of does and smaller deer behind him. If I'd have taken the shot I'd have killed him and probably killed or wounded two or three more in the process. I never did get a deer that year.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE