Originally Posted by gunswizard
I get all the speed and accuracy I need for hunting whitetails with moderate loads of IMR 3031 and IMR 4064. Ya don't need to hot rod the Whelen in order for it to be effective in my experience.
I just loaded some 35 Whelen for a friend. Our velocity goal was 2450 to 2500 fps with a 200 grain and 225 grain bullet. He will be shooting Iowa Whitetail deer and usually at way less than 100 yards. The powder of choice was AA2520. The 200 grain bullet is a round nose Hornady and the 225 is a Nosler plastic tip. I don't remember which bullet but we pretty much decided 2450-2500 fps was plenty enough. His rifle is a Remington 7600. I got to shoot 20 rounds out of his rifle with both bullets. The recoil is significant with either bullet. But, the whole idea with a 35 Whelen is rule number one. Bring enough gun. I'd say the 35 Whelen is enough gun.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.