Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't see any reason for the SAAMI MAP to have changed--though when Remington introduced the .35 Whelen as a factory round in 1988, they probably used copper-crusher (CUP) ratings. For the .30-06 the CUP MAP is 50,000, and for the Whelen 52,000.

It’s funny but for a lot of years I always thought the Whelen was softly loaded but if the SAAMI specs are 62k there isn’t too much on the table.

My suspicion is that Remington probably did hold their factory Whelen loadings back a fair bit below 62K, just based on what they showed on chronographs when tested.
I think with the proliferation of good accurate pressure testing equipment these days, and the advent of some really great new powders in the Whelen, outfits like Speer and Sierra are sneaking up a lot closer to that 62K number in their published loads, and that's why their numbers appear so "outrageous" to folks long used to much milder published data and factory rounds.
And I reckon nobody would disagree with beretzs that once you're pushing 62K, there certainly isn't much left on the table.

Great cartridge, just keeps getting greater.

Cheers,
Rex