I built a Whelen on a VZ24 action and loaded a 225 gr. TSX running just shy of 2700 fps. Longest shot just over 350 yds. I took three bulls with this load/rifle and my Pop took one. This is one of those bullets that incredibly, travelled the full length of one of those NM bulls.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Pop has a 700 Classic in Whelen, and the last couple of years of his elk hunting he carried it because with the old 4X Leupold it wears, it is such a light rifle. Load development was easy, and I worked up a load with a 250 gr. Speer SP that ran it just over 2500 fps and grouped very well-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As luck would have it, he got a shot at a rag-head bull at exactly 44 yds. The 250 gr. Speer acted sort of like a varmint bullet at that range. The short blood trail looked like it came out of a 5/8" garden hose. The shot was slightly quartering away, entering behind the right shoulder and angling forward into the left shoulder. Talk about a mess....

Entrance- [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Off shoulder- [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Remains of the bullet- [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shoulda used a Partition, but had these on hand.

Memories....and his last bull at age 75- [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 35WhelenNut; 08/09/21.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor