You are a romantic, but the right kind IMO...I’m holding 14 points for elk in a unit that I would draw at least every 3rd year. I didn’t get it this year...The only thing that keeps me sane over the higher number of points I’ve collected for hunts in Oregon 16 now for deer and not hitting a tag is like you pointed out... I have access to a decent area that holds an abundance of good animals to hunt...My knowledge and abilities help to take a nice bull almost every year. The same goes for Blacktail which make for a good hunting season for my small family.

OF&G have started discussion on making West Bull Elk a draw at some point. This scares mostly us local boys who would eventually find ourselves without a tag if that happened. I would adapt if it did and look at other opportunities for a hunt. It would feel a lot like starting over in new territory where to get ahead of the learning curve would require efforts that I have already acquired in my lifetime in my current locale...

I’m gonna say I’m grateful that I’ve had really good years hunting some rough but extremely beautiful country. And, now at this time of my life, I’m able to explore hunts outside of Oregon that not that long ago would have been out of my reach.

I just want to hunt, and hunt with good pards over country that holds nice animals for the taking if your willing to put the time, money and effort into helping to put one in front of you...

For Clint, Jud and even you, it would be hard to realize your once successfull draws just became infrequent. Maybe it’s the way in which the discovery of the hunting unit was outted that makes it the most irritating. Via tv or social media in a way removes the difficulty our pards had to go through to find it. Research it and trial and error hunting of it until the unit became a regular producer of filled tags.

The Randy Newman show does leave a bad taste of something once worked for is now just giving away...I’m sure I’ve oversimplified this discussion to a degree, not my intention. I am stoked your ugly ass will be seen more in the Northwest. I’m sure I will be sharing a hunt with you in the future as will others who are happy you maybe coming up for a stay. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”