Originally Posted by smokepole

If your goal is to teach new hunters, the most valuable lesson is not "where to go" it's what to look for and how to find your own hunting spots.

Interesting you should say that... and I agree completely. I don’t know of anyone who does that better than Newberg... he’s got entire series devoted to the use of technology and “e-scouting”. He has podcasts and videos on the different phases of elk hunting, and what terrain to look for depending on where the elk are at in this cycle. I’ve referred this series to several new elk hunters... who have absolutely no desire to find the next “hot unit”... they simply want to learn about elk hunting.

I’ve never watched a hunting show looking for a particular area to hunt... but I definitely appreciate much of the info being relayed. We used to get info like that from magazines.... visa vis the Chuck Adams reference. I devoured Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, American Hunter, and the like when I was a kid. I read everything I could find on hunting, I drove the local library staff nuts. Now, magazines seem to be bullschitt advertising and ambiguous fluff pieces (no offense JB and Phil). The content just isn’t there. This is simply the evolution of the way info is relayed... it ain’t going away. You can cry about it, or you can try to stay ahead of it...

I find it kind of interesting that one of the primary complaints is “they wrecked my area”..... if that truly was the case.... how do these guys continue to hunt those same areas year after year, and be successful? I’ve seen Newberg kill elk and deer in many of the same units for the past 6 or 7 seasons... on public land... that he has been obvious about. He obviously hasn’t pissed too much in his own pool.... or he’d be moving on to more of “your” areas.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......