Originally Posted by Mule Deer
NTG,

Originally Posted by NTG
I enjoyed Mule Deer's comparison of the 6.5CM to the 270win in his first Gun Gack. Yes the 6.5 has good merit, but not enough for me to move my 270, or 7-08 down the road. In the hunting spectrum of consideration the difference isn't comment worthy in my opinion. Now if I could sell my not worthy, "old man", 308 target rifle, I'd get a 6.5CM built for target work, but I don't need another gun and the only way my 308 will move is if I allow an undesirable feeling of being robbed to fill me. And regarding MD's reference to you old men, I was 25 in 2001 and didn't have any extra after paychecks to buy guns, but I did have my grandpa's, hand-me-down 721 in 270win serving me well. No, the 721 hasn't, and isn't going anywhere!

Perhaps this will puzzle some Campfire members, but I have never found any of the five 6.5 Creedmoors to have enough merit to move my .270 or 7mm-8 down the road (or my .260, custom 6.5x55, .257 Roberts, 7x57, etc.) In fact the only rifles I've moved down the road after buying one of the five 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned was the PREVIOUS 6.5 Creedmoor--because I'd found out what I needed to from it, and now wanted to see if yet another 6.5 Creedmoor will shoot as well as the previous rifles.

Right now my 6.5 Creedmoor is a Bergara B-14 Ridge, which shoots very well, as 6.5 Creedmoors normally do. But my tentative plans for hunting this fall include such possibilities as my semi-custom 7mm-08, a Ruger 77 tanger, the lightweight model that came from the factory with a spindly 18" barrel. But it also had a slimmer, nicer stock than the standard 77, with a black forend tip., and #1 contour, 22-inch Douglas barrel turned it into a very accurate rifle that weighs 7-1/2 pounds with scope.

Probably am also going to find a use for the .257 Roberts I'm building on an FN Mauser action, but with a synthetic stock to keep it light. We already have two other .257's in the house, but....

If you want some good load data for that -08, let me know.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001