recoiljunky,

Would not be surprised if the .308 outsells the 6.5 Creedmoor in some parts of the West, both in rifles and ammo. But in the Helena area (where I do most of my sporting goods shopping) the stores that stock a lot of ammo seem to have at least as much 6.5 Creedmoor ammo as .308. I'll have to take a closer look next time I go into one.

Was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Helena a couple weeks ago, and they have the best ammo selection in town. They had two 4-foot long shelves of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, maybe 10 boxes of .260, and NO 6.5x55. Our local ranch-supply store in Townsend also has a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, that disappears off the shelves pretty quickly, perhaps because of the local 1000-yard rifle range, though several of my buddies in town have 'em for hunting. (Others are anti-Creedmoorites, usually also anti-synthetic stocks.)

Yes, I do remember the first Bob Ward's in Missoula. In fact I used to buy fired shotgun shells there, because I was so young and poor that I still handloaded most of my shotshell ammo. They'd have barrels full from the local ranges. But sometime in there they moved to the bigger store.

Also remember the first Bob Ward's in Bozeman--along with, of course, the Beaver Pond. My father bought my first really good centerfire hunting rifle, a Savage 99 .308, at the Beaver Pond in 1966, after I'd used his .30-30 to take my first deer. He said I could pick out any rifle up to $50 (which shows you how inflation changes things!). I picked out the 99--which was marked $55, but he said that close enough.

The Bob Ward's in Helena probably the last on my list for shooting/reloading stuff of the four major stores in town, because it has the highest prices and worst selection. They also don't deal in used guns. The new Bob Ward's in Bozeman is a lot better. Don't get to Bozeman more than 2-3 times a year, but did buy some stuff at the BW's there about a month ago, stuff the Helena store doesn't have.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck