Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have no idea what your point is here. Is it that I've claimed the 6.5 Creedmoor does a better job of killing big game than any other cartridge? I can't remember ever stating that.

When Hornady and Ruger "made" the 6.5 Creedmoor on a chassis rifle FIRST it was to sell to the new and up and coming long range steel bangers not as a hunting rifle (you forgot that part). Now there are a plethora of would be snipers that take their chassis rifle out and "hunt" with them when they have no business doing so. Why? Because they read that if they have xxxx scope on xxxx rifle they can kill elk at xxxx yards A N D their smart phone says so.

All of these reasons are exactly why the 6.5 Creedmoor has become so popular here in Montana, particularly as a cartridge for kids and wives and girlfriends, where it's largely taken over the former role of the .243 Winchester. But quite a few he-men have also bought one too, after they see how well it works as a general big game round. The same reasons are the 6.5 Creedmoor is popular not just in Montana but many other states, including Europe and Africa.

Next time I talk to my friends at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis I'll have to ask them what their sell ratio is, 6.5 Creedmoor to the rest, and see what they say.

I've heard the 308 is still outselling the 6.5 for the same reasons as you stated the 6.5 is running rampant. When I was in Shedhorn in May I purused the ammo aisle knowing Rob keeps an ample supply of just about everything and saw probably twice as much different 308 ammo as any other except .223/5.56. In the local Walmart it's the same, which is still where (guessing) over 50% of American hunters buy ammo. There or some other discount place like Piggly Wiggly or Murdoch's.

Apparently, rifle loonies simply cannot understand those simple concepts, because long ago they decided on a cartridge that was "perfect." Well, sure, especially if you're a handloader, or "custom" rifle nut. But apparently some of those cartridges and rifles do not appeal to a LOT of other hunters and shooters, for the reasons I stated. Otherwise the .257 Roberts, .257 Weatherby, .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 etc. etc. etc., would be selling like the 6.5 Creedmoor has for the past decade.

In Bozeman where cowboy boots and Copenhagen have been replaced by skis, flip flops and bongs I can see that. Back before there was a Bob Ward's, when The Beaver Pond was THE sporting goods store in the Gallatin Valley and Owenhouse Ace Hardware still sold International farm equipment AND vehicles, that's the Bozeman Montana I grew up knowing. I'd bet there's not that many 6.5 Creedmoors sold at Bob Ward's.

Speaking of Bob Ward's, were you ever in his first store in Missoula? Musta only been 16 feet wide but a block long. On Higgin's Ave. I think? I was maybe ten when they moved (to the Tremper shopping center I believe).

I'd hafta ask my sister, she's the smart one.

Last edited by recoiljunky; 07/19/19.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.