There was a thread on this forum a few weeks ago, asking the age of Campfire members. Turned out the average was in the high 60's, as I recall, which isn't all that surprising, given the overall upward trend of the age of shooters and, especially, hunters. So apparently the Campfire itself is a Geezers Club of sorts.

My main point is that most hunters are resistant to change. I have a collection of hunting/shooting literature going back to the 1880's, and every generation bitched to some extent about some new-fangled rifle or cartridge. In fact, the general trend I've observed over the decades is that hunters often form their pretty much permanent tastes in firearms, cartridges, etc. between 30 and 40, after they start making enough money to indulge their whims. That's when most choose the absolutely perfect cartridge(s) for their hunting, and also decide which brands of rifles and scopes are best. Then as they grow older they start complaining about new and useless stuff that doesn't work any better than The Perfect Cartridge they chose way back when, and that no rifle after the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester was discontinued works worth a damn.

My age, by the way, is right around the Campfire average--but my rifle collection (and rifle interests) apparently covers a much longer period than most, and even includes some new stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck