DD,

just getting back to this. You raise some valid points. Having fished for a lot of years, non-commercial, which led to an overall interest in fish, which led to a career in fish, which involves some study of water, I understand your concerns as they are mine also.

Some of the he-men around here might want to be concerned with drinking water if they live around certain municipalities, and I wouldn't be surprised if the situation doesn't involve certain aquifers, and therefor private wells, also. Some interesting studies were done on fish (and other organisms I seem to recall) on the effects of female hormones being flushed with the water in the water closet and subsequently getting in the waters of the locality. As any who has studied hormones knows, the amount needed to effect change can be minuscule. And it seems some (many?) ag chemicals, or their derivatives, mimic hormones of various sorts.

Unfortunately,and fortunately in many respects, ours is a profit driven society and I don't see the financial incentive to change course as you put it. The long held belief by many that a technical solution will arise before "we" die out might be the best hope? Sucks for the individuals that don't make it thought. And good portions of future generations might be those individuals.

Ma Nature has a marvelous capacity for taking abuse. But one day even She might get overloaded.

Sorry to hear about your Florida experiences, but I'm not surprised.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?